My Husband Said He Was His Dead Brother

Skyler wakes up from a car accident remembering everything—except being Skyler. Instead, he insists he is his dead older brother, Timothy, and that Timothy's widow is his actual wife. Sophie could accept a strange memory glitch. What she can't accept is why everyone else in the room is determined to play along. So, Sophie does the one thing they don't expect: she leaves.


Genre: Drama, Contemporary Fiction 

Theme/Trope: Betrayal, Marriage, Cheating, Fake Amnesia, Secret Affair, Divorce, Strong Female Lead, Moving On, No Second Chances

--- Cover ---




--- Story starts ---


My husband lost his memory.

At least, that was what they told me. I was late. By the time I arrived, he was already surrounded by his late brother’s widow and his friends.

He was still asleep so Jeanne, the widow, explained it to me. Apparently, Skyler had awakened twice. He remembered his parents. He remembered his friends. He remembered how to drive, how to run his business, and even the password to his phone.

The only thing he apparently couldn't remember was being Skyler.

Instead, he insisted that he was Timothy, his older brother who had died a few years earlier. Which created one particularly awkward problem. Timothy had been married to Jeanne. And I was married to Skyler.

The first time Skyler looked me straight in the eye and said, "Hello, Sophie. Where’s Skyler?"

I thought he was joking. 

He wasn't.

Then he turned toward Jeanne. His entire expression softened.

"Why is my wife crying?"

I stared at him.

And I stood there, wondering if any of this was real.

-----

Skyler and I had been married for six years.

We weren't rich.

I had grown up in an ordinary middle-class family, went to college, got lucky with a good career, worked hard, and eventually reached a salary of around ten thousand dollars a month.

Skyler's life had been different.

When we met, he was working a job that paid barely above minimum wage.

That had never bothered me.

He was funny. Kind. Hardworking. He packed my lunch when I had early meetings and waited up for me when I worked late.

Eventually, Skyler told me he wanted to start his own business.

I helped.

I paid most of our household expenses while he got started. I lent him some of the initial capital. I helped him make spreadsheets, proofread contracts, build a basic website, and sometimes spent entire weekends helping with paperwork.

The first year was terrible.

The second was slightly less terrible.

Then, Timothy died.

By the fourth year, the business was finally doing well.

Not millionaire well.

Not private-jet well.

Just normal, boring, wonderful well.

It paid its bills. Skyler paid himself a decent salary. He had a few employees. We stopped worrying that one bad month would kill the company.

I was proud of him.

And two years later, apparently, Skyler decided he was Timothy.

-----

At first, I wanted to fight it.

He was my beloved husband after all. Our relationship wasn’t perfect. We had our ups and downs, but it was good enough to be recalled fondly at odd moments.

He remembered my favourite snacks. He knew what made me tick. He massaged me without being asked. And, my favourite, he cooked. Skyler was an amazing cook and he did most of the cooking at home.

After I recovered from the shock of his question, I tried to press the button, calling his attending physician right there and then. Skyler stopped me. 

He actually scolded me with a harsh voice too.

That was the first thing that felt wrong.

I was sad. I was worried. But I wasn't too distraught to notice his overreaction. Even if he misremembered me as his sister-in-law, why would he scold me so heatedly? He had always been gentle to me and Jeanne.

"There is nothing wrong with me!" He insisted.

"Skyler, I just-" I tried to explain myself but he cut me off.

"Stop calling me that." He looked genuinely irritated. "My name is Timothy." Then he looked at Jeanne dotingly. His voice turned softer. "And that's my wife."

That hurt. That hurt a lot.

But what hurt considerably more was watching him hug her, trying to console her as she had been crying. Skyler pulled her against his chest automatically, stroked her hair and kissed her forehead. I felt something ugly, twist inside my stomach. I almost snapped at Jeanne as I realized the reason.

It was more than mere jealousy.

Jeanne knew Timothy was dead. She had buried him. WE had buried him.

Yet, instead of correcting Skyler, instead of telling him that she wasn't his wife, she simply stood there crying while my husband comforted her as if she were. She readily accepted intimate gestures from someone else’s husband! 

A suspicion started to grow inside my mind.

I tried to ignore it. I tried giving her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she was simply overwhelmed. Maybe hearing Skyler call himself Timothy had reopened something she had spent three years trying to bury.

But, still, logic was one thing. Emotion was another.

I could control my words. I could not control my expression, nor my tone.

"Jeanne," I whispered, turning my gaze to her. The anger slowly drained out of me through sheer efforts. Yet, my tone remained cold. "Do you think this is your husband? Look at his face. Look at the scar on his jaw from when he fell off his bike at twelve years old, the scar Timothy didn't have. Look at him and tell him who he truly is."

Skyler did not believe me. Fine. But Jeanne had been Timothy's wife. If anyone in this room could make him understand, surely it was her. If Jeanne told him the same thing, he would have no choice but to believe me, right?

To my shock, Jeanne simply cried harder. 

That rubbed me wrong. 

Really, really, wrong.

“Why are you crying?” I hissed. “Your husband is dead, Jeanne. Mine is standing right here. So tell him. Tell him whose husband he really is.”

Jeanne didn’t answer. She only buried her face in her hands, her shoulders shaking violently as her cries grew louder. The silence that followed was suffocating, as if all the oxygen had been abruptly sucked out of the hospital room. 

I didn’t like this feeling. But her choice made it difficult for me to remain unsuspicious… and not wanting to slap her.

"That's enough, Sophie."

The voice came from the man standing right in front of me. The man with the tiny scar on his left jaw, the exact scar I used to trace with my fingers every night as we lay in bed, talking about our future until the early hours of the morning.

But his gaze right now was entirely foreign. Cold. Disgusted.

"You’ve crossed the line," he said, taking a step forward to block me from reaching Jeanne. He shielded her behind his body, treating me like some sort of dangerous threat. "I just woke up from an accident, but you won’t stop harassing my wife with your absurd theories!"

"Me? Absurd?" I sneered. "Take out your wallet, Skyler. Read the ID. I dare you."

"I don’t need to look at an ID to know who I am," he said coldly, his voice hardening as he glared down at me. "And I don't appreciate you screaming at Jeanne. Get out, Sophie. Before I call security."

I stared at him, my eyes narrowing as the last trace of doubt evaporated from my mind. A freezing, dangerous calm settled over me. I should be breaking down right now but strangely, I didn’t. Instead, I was certain now that the whole thing was a farce. 

One thing about me, I never took dishonesty and disloyalty kindly.

Not even from my own husband.

Especially NOT from my husband.

If Skyler truly had amnesia, he would be confused. He would be looking for answers. He would at least reach for his wallet to prove the crazy woman wrong. But he didn't. He was refusing to look because he already knew what the card would say.

And Jeanne? Her silence wasn't grief. It was complicity.

As for his friends… I looked around. They refused to meet my eyes, shifting uncomfortably beneath my gaze. I wasn’t surprised. They were Timothy and Jeanne’s friends first, people who used to make subtle jokes about me being "too masculine" or the one "wearing the pants" in our marriage just because I earned more. 

Now, they were also employees at Skyler’s now-successful company. They knew exactly which way the wind was blowing, and they weren't about to anger their boss. 

A soft, humourless laugh slipped past my lips, making them flinch slightly.

Truly. What a bunch of parasites.

"Security?" Returning my gaze to Skyler, I tilted my head, my eyes openly mocking him. "Go ahead. Call them. Tell them Skyler Vance is being harassed by his own wife. Oh, wait~ you're Timothy now. In that case, I suppose I really should just call the attending physician and sign the papers to transfer you to the psych ward. After all, if a patient wakes up claiming to be a dead man, there’s something truly wrong with his head, isn't it?"

I paused, letting the weight of my words sink into their little brains. I could see the shift in their expressions immediately. The smug certainty was gone, replaced by a sudden, creeping anxiety. They hadn't thought this through. They thought they could stop me. They thought I would play a stunned, grieving wife. None of them ever thought I would be so fierce even towards my own husband.

But I wasn’t done. 

I took a slow step backward, keeping my eyes locked onto his.

"Let's see how long you can keep up this little performance when they strap you to a gurney," I whispered, my tone deadpan. I had no idea if they would actually do that but… I felt only satisfaction at my success of scaring them, even if it’s just a bit.

Turning on my heel, I walked out of the room, the heavy door clicking shut behind me. My legs were steady, my hands weren't shaking, and my mind was already racing through a mental checklist. I had no idea what they were playing at but… I wouldn’t stay still as the pests tarnished my life.

-----

I left the room before I did something that would land me in jail.

By the time I reached the nurses' station, I wasn't as incensed.

Instead, I was happy and thankful for the clarity.

Alone, Skyler might be able to convince me, something had gone wrong inside his head.

Jeanne ruined that possibility.

So did his friends.

One confused man was a medical problem.

Half a dozen people refusing to acknowledge reality was a performance.

None of them deserved anything good from me.

I was glad for that clarity.

"Excuse me," I said. "I'm Sophie Vance. Skyler Vance's wife. I'd like to speak with his attending physician."

The nurse checked her screen.

"Of course. Is there something you'd like me to tell him?"

"Yes. My husband is claiming that he's his dead brother. His doctor needs some background information."

Her expression became more serious.

"I'll contact him."

"Thank you."

So did mine… even though I was actually smiling inside.

-----

A few minutes later, I was sitting across from Dr. Ahmad in a small consultation room.

"I'm told you have some information about your husband."

"Yes. My husband, Skyler Vance, claimed to be Timothy Vance, his DEAD older brother."

Dr. Ahmad's pen paused.

"Excuse me?"

"Timothy died about three years ago."

It took a few seconds before his pen moved again.

"How?"

"Car accident."

"And your husband was aware of his death?"

"Very aware. He attended the funeral."

"I see."

"Jeanne, the woman currently in his room, was Timothy's wife."

That earned another note.

"Before yesterday, has Skyler ever claimed to be Timothy?"

"No."

"Any history of memory problems?"

"No."

"Confusion?"

"No."

"Psychiatric treatment?"

"Not that I'm aware of."

He asked several more questions.

I answered them as accurately as I could.

Then he asked, "When did you first notice this change?"

"When he woke up a few minutes ago."

"What happened?"

"He looked at me and asked where Skyler was. Then he looked at Jeanne and asked why his wife is crying."

Dr. Ahmad nodded.

"How did he respond when you told him who he was?"

"He refused to believe me."

"Did you show him any identification?"

"I tried."

That made him look up.

"I told him to take out his wallet and look at his ID. He refused."

"Did he say why?"

"He said he didn't need an ID to know who he was."

Dr. Ahmad wrote that down too.

I almost smiled.

Good.

Let Skyler explain that one himself.

I wasn't going to diagnose him.

I wasn't going to accuse him.

I wasn't going to beg a doctor to catch my husband lying.

If Skyler wanted to convince trained medical professionals that he had somehow forgotten being Skyler while retaining everything else necessary to function as Skyler, that was his problem.

I had another one.

"What happens now?" I asked.

"We'll continue evaluating him. After an accident, we have to consider possible neurological and cognitive effects, among other explanations."

"All right."

"We may need more information from you later."

"You have my number."

"Yes."

I stood.

Dr. Ahmad seemed slightly surprised.

"Mrs. Vance?"

"Yes?"

"Are you leaving?"

"Yes. Anything else, doctor?"

He shook his head. So, I picked up my bag and went to my next destination.

-----

I didn't cry on the drive home. Mostly because I was too busy planning for my future.

I didn't know exactly what they wanted from me yet.

Maybe they expected me to fight. Maybe they expected me to spend months dragging Skyler from specialist to specialist while Jeanne played the grieving widow reunited with her dead husband. Maybe they expected me to become so exhausted that I eventually gave up.

Whatever the plan was, one thing was obvious.

They needed me to believe it.

I didn't.

When I got home, I dropped my keys on the kitchen counter and looked around. Skyler's jacket was hanging over a chair. His coffee mug was beside the sink. His laptop charger was still plugged into the wall. Everything in this house belonged to a life he was currently pretending not to remember.

I sat down.

And for the first time that day, I asked myself a much simpler question.

Not: “Why is Skyler doing this?” I could figure that out later.

Not: “Should I stay in this marriage?” It’s obviously worthless.

The question was: “Who do I call to end this as soon as possible?” That answer came surprisingly quickly. I had no idea. So I opened my laptop. For a moment, I stared at the search bar.

Then I typed: “divorce attorney near me.”

------

While I was looking for someone to end my marriage, Skyler was discovering that pretending to be a dead man was considerably more complicated than he had expected.

Dr. Ahmad and the rest of his medical team took his condition seriously.

Over the next two days, they reviewed his scans and test results, performed neurological and cognitive assessments, and had him evaluated for the sudden change in his identity and memory.

The problem wasn't simply that Skyler called himself Timothy.

It was everything that came after.

Where did he live?

Where did he work?

How would he support himself after leaving the hospital?

Who owned the business he claimed to know how to run?

Why did every official record, medical record and piece of identification say Skyler Vance?

Eventually, Skyler's story changed.

Not completely. Just enough.

He acknowledged that the evidence identified him as Skyler Vance.

He understood that, legally and administratively, he was Skyler. He understood that the house listed as his residence was the home he shared with Sophie. He understood that the company belonged to him, that its employees knew him as Skyler, and that Sophie Vance was legally his wife.

He simply claimed he didn't remember any of it as his life.

His memories, he insisted, belonged to Timothy. When he looked at Jeanne, he remembered his wife. When he looked at me, he remembered his brother's wife. It was a convenient distinction. 

It was also enough for him to function in reality without abandoning his performance entirely.

Once the doctors were satisfied that there was no medical reason to keep him hospitalized, that he understood his actual legal circumstances and could make decisions based on them, he was discharged with instructions for follow-up care.

Jeanne picked him up.

I didn't. I was busy.

-----

The divorce attorney I chose had initially offered me an appointment for the following week.

I asked if she had anything sooner. 

She did.

The next morning, I arrived at her office carrying everything I thought might be useful. 

Our marriage certificate. Identification. Tax returns. Bank statements. Income records. Documents for the house and our cars. And, most importantly, our prenup.

The attorney looked at the folder, then at me.

"You came prepared."

"I don't want this to take longer than it has to."

She opened the prenup first.

Skyler and I had signed it before we married.

Not because I expected us to divorce.

I loved him.

I also had siblings.

Growing up, our parents had drilled one principle into all of us: Love was love, but property was property. If you owned something, make it clear. If someone else owned something, respect it. Never wait until everyone was angry, grieving or divorcing to start arguing about who owned what.

So Skyler and I had settled all of that while we still liked each other.

The house was mine. His business was his. Our individual savings, investments and other assets remained our own. We each owned our own car. Our salaries went into our respective personal accounts.

For household expenses, we had a joint account. Every month, we each transferred an agreed amount into it. When Skyler's business was still struggling, I contributed more. Once his income stabilized, we adjusted it.

Simple.

The attorney continued reading.

"This is fairly comprehensive."

"That was the idea."

"Are you seeking any ownership interest in his company?"

"No."

She looked up, almost in disbelief of her fortune.

"You helped finance it?"

"I helped him start it. That doesn't make it mine."

"What about the house?"

"Mine."

"His car?"

"His."

"Your car?"

"Mine."

"Retirement accounts?"

"Separate."

"Investments?"

"Separate."

"Children?"

"None."

For the first time since I walked in, she looked like she was about to start dancing in front of me. Then I remembered something.

"Actually, there is one complication."

The relief disappeared.

"I lent him money when he started the company."

"How much?"

I told her.

"Was it a gift?"

"No."

"Do you have that in writing?"

"Yes."

I pulled another document from the folder.

She read it carefully.

"This acknowledges the money as a loan."

"Yes."

"I'm not seeing a repayment date."

"There isn't one."

"Repayment schedule?"

"No."

She looked at me.

I shrugged.

"At the time, I didn't care when he paid me back. The business was barely surviving. He was my husband."

"And now?"

"Now, we are about to divorce."

She stared at me.

I stared back.

Eventually, she placed the agreement on top of the prenup.

"We'll need to deal with this separately."

"That's fine. I just want the money repaid."

"All of it?"

"Yes."

"You understand that the absence of a repayment date may affect how and when that can be demanded."

"That's why I'm paying you instead of Googling it."

That earned the faintest twitch at the corner of her mouth.

"Fair enough."

She moved on.

How long had we been married?

Six years.

Did I know where Skyler was?

Currently, the hospital.

Was there any possibility of reconciliation?

"No."

That answer came easily.

Then she asked why I wanted the divorce.

I considered giving her the short version. Instead, I told her the truth.

"My husband was in an accident. When he woke up, he claimed he'd forgotten that he was Skyler and believed he was his dead brother, Timothy."

She stopped writing.

"His dead brother?"

"Yes."

"And he doesn't remember your marriage?"

"No. He understands that we're legally married. He just doesn't remember me as his wife."

There was a pause.

"And where does the dead brother come into this?"

"Timothy's widow is Jeanne. Skyler remembers her as his wife."

Another pause.

A considerably longer one.

"I see."

"They're definitely lying."

"I see."

"Even if they aren't, it doesn't change anything. He is emotionally and physically intimate with another woman while married to me. He hugged her, kissed her, and called her his wife right in front of me. And, she willingly accepted all that. And, none of his friends even tried to correct him."

The attorney stared at me for a moment.

"So I'd like a divorce."

"Yes," she said slowly. "I gathered that."

"I don't want his business. I don't want his savings. I don't want his car. I don't want anything that belongs to him."

I tapped the loan agreement.

"I want what belongs to me."

Then I tapped the prenup.

"And I want the marriage ended."

She nodded.

That, apparently, was considerably easier to understand than my husband becoming his dead brother.

She explained what she needed to begin the case, what would happen after filing, and that moving quickly did not mean the divorce itself would magically be finished overnight.

That was fine.

I wasn't asking for magic. I just wanted it started.

So we started it.

-----

Skyler was discharged after two days inside the hospital.

Jeanne picked him up. I didn't.

According to the version of events Skyler had finally settled on, he understood that he was legally Skyler Vance. He understood that I was legally his wife, that the business was his, and that all the documents bearing his name were correct.

He simply didn't remember being that man. Apparently, that included not remembering that he lived with me. That was convenient. Despite knowing his legal address, he chose to stay with Jeanne instead. 

I didn’t mind. It made my case of him cheating on me stronger.

Five days later, a delivery van stopped outside Jeanne's house. Skyler noticed it through the window. He didn't think much of it until the driver rang the doorbell.

"Skyler Vance?"

There was a brief hesitation.

Then Skyler nodded.

"Yes."

The driver gestured toward the van.

"We have a delivery for you."

Clothes. Shoes. Electronics. Documents. Books. Everything Skyler owned that had still been in my house. All neatly packed and labelled inside eleven boxes. 

Skyler stared at the boxes strangely before he started moving them in, one by one.

He was at box three when another man approached the driveway. 

"Mr. Skyler Vance?"

Skyler turned.

"Yes?"

The man handed him two envelopes.

"You've been served."

Skyler frowned. 

The man was already walking away as he opened the first one. His jaw dropped instantly at the sight of the divorce petition. He quickly ripped open the second one. It is a formal legal demand for the immediate repayment of the business loan.

Jeanne read both over his shoulder. For several seconds, neither spoke. 

It was exactly what they wanted. No more secret affair. No more excuses. No more sneaking around behind my back for almost two years. Yet, as they stared at the papers, their expressions were entirely devoid of joy.

They had spent months engineering this absurd performance to avoid admitting the much simpler truth. 

Skyler had cheated on the wife who supported him when he had almost nothing, with his dead brother's widow. There was no flattering way to tell that story.

So, he built a ghost story to hide behind, a medical miracle to shield him from the consequences of his own betrayal. He wanted to slide into his dead brother's old life with everyone's pity and understanding, leaving his wife behind as an unfortunate casualty of "amnesia."

And somehow, they had gotten exactly what they wanted: I left.

But neither were satisfied. Their reputations were intact. Their egos, however, took a hit. 

They didn't like that.

-----

A few months later, my life surprisingly didn’t change much.

I still went to work, enjoyed my food, and tried out new things. It’s just life. If there’s anything big about it, I guessed, it was the fact that my circle of friends had changed.

It happened because I signed up for a pottery class.

Not because I had always dreamed of making pottery. The whole thing just looked messy. But I was bored one Saturday, saw an advertisement, and thought, “Why not?”

My first bowl was terrible. My second was worse.

By my fourth class, I had somehow acquired three new friends and a standing invitation for coffee after every Saturday session. 

We started doing other things together too. Weekend markets. New restaurants. Museums. Random workshops somebody found online.

My life became busier. Not dramatically. Just pleasantly.

I haven’t thought of Skyler for a long time.

The divorce had been finalized without a hitch. My attorney handled most of the unpleasant parts, and Skyler had agreed to a repayment arrangement for the loan. Aside from that, we didn’t have a reason to meet.

For the first few months, I still missed his cooking. That was probably the one thing about married life I genuinely struggled to replace. Then I remembered I made good money and could simply pay someone to cook for me. Problem solved.

I still heard about him occasionally though.

Apparently, living openly with Jeanne wasn't quite as romantic as sneaking around with her had been. They argued. They questioned each other's whereabouts. They checked who the other was texting. Considering how their relationship had started, there’s no guessing the reason.

His company wasn't doing much better. Apparently, Skyler had started making one bad decision after another after our divorce. Losing my unpaid help and insight certainly didn't make things easier. The business was still running, but between its expenses, his loan repayments to me, and whatever mess he had created for himself, it was slowly bleeding dry. I supposed building a successful business was much harder when his spouse's hobby was actively hounding any females who dared to go near him at work.

"Sophie?” Maya’s voice broke through my thoughts. She was one of the new friends I met in the pottery class. I turned my head to take a look at her ominous creation.

"Be brutally honest. Does my vase look like it’s leaning toward a midlife crisis?"

I laughed, looking at her slightly lopsided creation. "Just a little. Once you stuff it with enough flowers, no one will notice the tilt."

After cleaning up, we walked over to the cafe next door for some afternoon tea, waiting for the other two. While we were looking through travel options for a trip to the next state next month, my phone buzzed. It was a brief text notification from my bank: the last instalment of Skyler's loan had just been deposited. Followed immediately by a text from Skyler, full of curses.

I smiled, sliding the phone back into my bag. 

He had to dissolve his company to pay that last instalment. I suppose I should put it to good use. “Rejoice," I announced, looking up at my friends. "Today’s lunch is on me.”

Loud, joyful cheers greeted that statement, washing away the final traces of my "dead" husband who was too busy playing ghost.



--- Story ends --- 


New Story:
Every Tuesday at 10 PM (UTC+8).
[Can't wait? Gets 2 weeks early access at my Ko-Fi | Members Only]

Support Me:
[2 Weeks Early Access + Tip Jar] https://ko-fi.com/bayuthestorybutcher

Read / Listen Elsewhere:
[YouTube] Will be updated soon.
[WattPad] Bayu The Story Butcher (30 Sept 2026, UTC+8, 10 PM)

Links Collection:
[All-in-one-place] https://linktr.ee/BayuTheStoryButcher

Extra Notes:
The original story was too ridiculous, I couldn't even read much of it. I had to use ChatGPT to summarize it for me.

Basically her husband pretended to be his dead brother. Partly because of ego. He always lost to his late brother. Apparently, they both liked the same woman too and the dead brother won. He married her while the wannabe-dead-brother married the main character. I think ChatGPT says something about it being a ridiculous torture porn. I don't even remember the details anymore but just the premise alone made me mad.

Comments